Tuesday 25 March 2014

Distractions

Housekeeping for a mouse!

A couple of weeks ago we noticed a smell coming from down beside our little freezer. I opened the window. It didn't go away.  Reluctantly I investigated, thinking it might be 'something dead' that the cats had brought in. As I wrestled the tumble dryer out of the way - no mean feat in a small space, the creature scurried away under the freezer - very much alive! There was quite a system in place - cat biscuit stored in a neat pile under the drier and a very comfy looking nest behind the freezer. Getting out the vacuum to remove the nest and biscuit, the mouse emerged looking very beautiful. It evaded capture  - easily - and disappeared. Goodness knows where! Needless to say the cats seem to think this is my problem.

Yes, it is still in residence - a new nest in the same place and each morning a pile of cat biscuit under the drier. Totally ignored the humane mouse trap with organic peanut butter and cat biscuit. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do other than to live with the distraction and to clear up after it.... 

A favourite poet sums it up very well. 

Making the House Ready for the Lord
Dear Lord, I have swept and I have washed but
   still nothing is as shining as it should be
for you. Under the sink, for example, is an
   uproar of mice – it is the season of their
many children. What shall I do? And under the eaves
   and through the walls the squirrels
have gnawed their ragged entrances – but it is the season
   when they need shelter, so what shall I do? And
the racoon limps into the kitchen and opens the cupboard
   while the dog snores, the cat hugs the pillow;
what shall I do? Beautiful is the new snow falling
   in the yard and the fox who is staring boldly
up the path, to the door. And still I believe you will
   come, Lord: you will, when I speak to the fox,
the sparrow, the lost dog, the shivering sea-goose, know
   that really I am speaking to you whenever I say,
as I do all morning and afternoon: Come in, Come in.


Mary Oliver

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment