Friday 13 February 2015

Awaken into Stillness ...

Over the last week, with others as a 'community of practice' in Still Waters and Quiet Garden, we have been exploring the relationship between movement and stillness. We walked together in the prayer loft on Saturday morning, slowly in a circle, sat in stillness, walked again and sat, allowing the movement to ease us into a deeper attentiveness.   On Wednesday, slowly pacing the garden's spiral prayer walk on my own, I was left with a clear internal invitation to 'awaken into stillness'. This has been accompanying me through each day, at home and elsewhere, in quiet and in the hubbub of life, rooting and grounding me deeper into being present to the present moment.

'Awaken into Stillness ...'

It sounds and feels invitational and at the same time contradictory ... my mind questions 'isn't awakening about being active and stillness associated with being passive'? 

I am laughing gently at my efforts to write about this ... putting the mind aside, my felt-sense is more about falling into stillness, or maybe unfolding into something that is beyond any movement and yet is full of life and growth. Language is never enough. Yet it is all I have ... especially on a blog!  

I am reminded again of T S Eliot in his poem 'Burnt Norton' ... 'Except for the point, the still point, there would be no dance, and there is only the dance ...' 

Again ... an echo ... a whisper ...  'stillness awakens into Life & Love ... so give yourself to the stillness!'

So may it be!
Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment